Tears, milk, poops and smiles have been had by both my baby Esmé and myself.
Although I’ll forever be amazed by what our bodies go through to create a life and the power of a person through the journey of motherhood, there are still some bat shit crazy times in the months following your baby birth. Some things that we have all read about and totally expect and then other things that you don’t hear about all so much!!
This is my fourth season postpartum and I’m still getting surprised, these are some of the things I’ve experienced following my babies, that nobody really told me would happen…
- Nappies – your baby isn’t the only one that will be wearing them. No shame in it either, having worn pads before trust me these adult nappies are the way to go… build for comfort not style haha
- Some days you will fall in love with your partner all over again and other times you will want to rip them a new one.
- Love at first sight – is NOT always the case it can days or weeks even to grow and bond together with your baby. The love is no less.
- Your hair will malt like a Husky in the summertime, hairballs clogging the shower drain, leaving you wondering if it will grow back or there will be hell toupee.
- Waking up WET… not in a good way either, whether it be night sweats, baby vomit or lying in a pool of your own breast milk.
- Baby wipes – where have they been all our lives?! The all-purpose wet cloth for butts, quick all over body cleanse, sticky fingers, cleaning tables and dusting everything.
- Your body may become a bit of a stranger to you, someone you don’t recognize in the mirror just quite yet, it might take time to learn to love it and that’s ok – at times you also look at it in complete awe of what it has done.
- You will think about poo ALOT – yes, your babies BUT the first one primarily being your own.
- Sex – with hormones still raging, you either can’t wait to jump back at it or you are completely dead scared to let anything near your vagina.
- The nipples – darkening and increasing in size, I heard it’s so the baby can see them… Well, mine are like big pieces of Hungarian salami so if she can’t see these somethings wrong!
- There will be days when you feeling utterly alone and isolated by your newborn bubble, days morphing into one another, longing for a little freedom.
- There are going to be days that test you and your mental health.
- Baby outfits with buttons – cute at first but at 3 am, 17 buttons aren’t so cute anymore.
- Sleep when the baby sleeps advice… well when the baby finally sleeps – you will probably scroll the whole internet, shower or do the washing.
- You will say and do stupid stuff while tired. Bring on the coffee
Trust me mamas you are never alone.
There are 100’s of beautiful moments too (like the cute little grin on E’s face)
What did you discover in the fourth trimester that no-one told you about?
Did you experience any of these? Or something completely different that surprised you?
Please add to the list!